[ SHOWGSD-L ] Numbers down beacause of Utah. NOT

  • From: "Oak&Carrie Smith" <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:10:12 -0700

A lot has been implied about how the national numbers were down, and it was
in Utah. And now, in an economy move the Board has decided to move the 2012
out of Colorado, (Utah, Colorado, its out west) to St. Louis. This to
generate more numbers , more participation (it was down because Utah is so
far away after all) more revenue. But folks this is not about Utah, Colorado
or even St. Louis. This is about dog shows and participation.
For the last 14 years Carrie and I have made a point of attending the
Colorado cluster, The Colorado Kennel Club/Plum Creek Dog shows. Held every
year the week after Westminster. Typically all the Westminster winners and
dogs will fly out from NY. to Denver and attend this show.  (Denver is after
all a MAJOR hub and can easily fly dogs in and out)The first year Carrie and
I attended there were 150 plus GSDs, at an ALL BREED show. (How many at the
Specialty near you this year?) This is an awesome show held at the Denver
stock yards and is/has been rated as one of the top 5 dog shows in the
country for numbers ever since we have been going.  Our first Major victory
was achieved at Plum Creek. Our first time seeing the totally amazing
Jamaica was at this show. (A STANDING ovation when she entered the ring! And
this in adjoining rings too. What a dog.) This show is five days of intense
dog show.  This is five days (counting specialties) of major dog show. NEVER
have we attended when there have not been Majors on both sides, and in
almost every breed you can name.  In the last two years it is evident that
the participation in dog shows is down. Last year at Denver there were only
3 and 4 point majors. Amazing. Only 50 GSDs last year. Where is the sport
going? Well this year there are only 25 GSDs entered. Not even Majors in
dogs.
Our Nationals were not down because of location. To get numbers up we need
to address the concerns and needs of those left who are showing.
Having a show in the Mid-west the second week in November will not increase
participation, because our numbers being down has little to do with
location. It has to do with who is left standing after the economy has
slugged our people.
Folks will not be able to drive from around the country the second week in
November no matter where the club decides to hold it.
We need to realize there are just not that many of us left.
All the people I have met since starting this, (and I am a newbie, only 15
years into it) love to show dogs and will drive to Antarctica if that is
what it takes to show but can only do so if they can afford to do it.
Not that many can any more.
I am sad to see the Nationals leave Colorado. I believe the Board is
mistaken in their assumptions but that is my opinion. But what I am
positively assured of is this. For those who are left standing, those who
think showing a dog is important and fun and necessary for the breed, well
we need to make it so that the optimum numbers of those people can attend a
national. To do so needs to address the time element and the geography of
the country. We need to have a National, no matter where it is, that
concedes that to get there requires a certain bit of help from mother
nature. We cannot expect to show a profit, if by the very calendar, we make
it so a noticeable percentage of attendees cannot make it to the site.
Colorado was set for early October. If we cannot have St. Louis at the same
time but rather in mid November will we see entries in the 300's? This is a
possibility that should not be underestimated or lightly dismissed.

Location can have something to do with attendance. So can time. It is
equally important.

Oak

Carrie & Oak Smith
Oak Ridge German Shepherds