[ SHOWGSD-L ] Now rodeo

  • From: Holly Whitney <holly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx list" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:30:21 -0400

Sally, I am absolutely not minimizing what you did or who you
rescued.  I came into dogs from showing horses.  I also worked for a
barn who bought TBs from our local track and what I learned that in
all cases of legitimate animal entertainment, ie:  horse shows,
rodeo, TB racing, and dog showing people fit into categories.  There
are the upper echelon, the people who have invested a lot of money
into their hobby or business and care for their livestock and treat
it like an investment.  For instance the top TB race horses who are
spared no expense.  Do you think anyone would jeopardize mistreating
their investment?  Then there are those who are in it for all the
wrong reasons, glory, money, whatever.  When something goes wrong,
the bull doesn't buck, the horse has double bowed tendons, and the
dog doesn't have all of it's teeth.  Their response is to dump the
animal, don't spend any money on a sinking ship, and get another one
to try again.  Then there are those who are in it for the shear love
of the animal in whatever particular venue they try.  Then there are
all those in the middle who fit at both ends of the spectrum and bits
of the middle.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you can't paint a wide brush to
describe rodeo.  They are the same as us.........  Some mean, some
good, some illegal, some so legit that you know that they obeyed
every speed limit on the way to the show.....

Holly (who found normal people who showed American Saddlebreds and
loved it!)

Msg: #2 in digest
From: SallyHH31@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:11:24 EDT
Subject: Re: Innocent until proven Guilty???

I am sorry but when the horses are done being bucked they are sold to
a  feed
lot type place that sends them to Canada or Mexico. There they are
slaughtered. I know because My daughter and I have rescued a bucking
mare and a
registered Arabian from the lots. The bucking mare was here about 2
months and  gave
birth to a colt. Had she been sent to slaughter they would have
slaughtered
her and left the colt to die. The mare is only 9 years old and is now
rideable.  So believe me they are treated about like dogs in shelters
when no one
wants  them anymore.
          SallyHH