[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Now coat!

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windvane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:41:45 -0600

On 9/22/06 1:03 PM, Emilie wrote:
> hummmmmm, and I am driving to the nationals next year?
> Emilie

No worries :)  First, the snow is all in the mountains with this storm
and Ft. Collins is on the plains.  (up against the foothills, but still
on the plains)  That's pretty typical for this time of year especially.
Second, between the downslope (i.e. dry & warming) winds that follow
most storms and the "extra" solar heating caused by having 15% less
atmosphere to filter the radiation than places at sea level have,
outside of the mountains we're lucky if snow stays around for 24 hours!

Cheers,
  Leslie, (research) meteorologist who misses the 4 seasons of New England!
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
CIRES, Univ. of Colorado         email: hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx