[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Not so much... depression and dogs

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:45:32 -0800 (PST)

Kathy, it's not so bad.  Yes, Bertha does have a screw loose, but not with her
pack.  Yes, she is dominant and likes to pick on poor retarded Sissy, but Sissy
is so submissive that she begs to be beaten up on.  I do keep my ear on the
tone of voice Bertha uses, she is a noisy player.  But for the most part I just
let them have at, no one gets hurt and both girls get what they need for their
pack position.
Bertha is watched with company, like a hawk.  If it is someone we know I only
worry about the fist few minutes, even kids, if she knows them.  But new people
are a real issue for her.  However, I made a commitment to her the day she was
conceived.  I will care for her till death if need be.

And, I just added to my pack.  Mom's 11 year old bitch has joined us of
necessity.  I have 4 bitches and one dog.  The only real complaints come from
the one dog, he likes girls just fine, but he has on one to pal around with.  I
don't need another dog.  Maybe he will make friends with the boy pup I just
adopted to my neighbors, and maybe Mr Bucko, alpha will not let him be a friend
and will only be alpha to him.  Time will tell.

But really, it is not an "on your toes round the clock" thing, just new
people.  Bertha is amazing with dogs though.  I use her in lessons.
sheila