[ SHOWGSD-L ] Not so much... depression and dogs

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>, <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:25:37 -0800

Hi Sheila;
I have never found our dogs to be "waiting"  for a sign of weakness in
leadership to take that
role away from myself or my husband if the opportunity presents itself.
Just the opposite.     We recently placed a 14 month old male that was just
kind of a happy "dufus"
around here....but very tough.    We placed him as a Service Dog even though he
was show quality
because we watched the amazing change in his demeanor when this person in a
'weakened state'
took him by the leash and literally "needed"  him to help her with some
neurological problems as
she walked.     Within weeks he was alerting her husband when she went
down....rode with her in
the ambulance a few times... and was allowed in ICU and her room with her all
the while by her side
and watched while she was cared for.......with her at all times in a weakened
state of leadership.
Always THERE for her......never takes over, but watches for any need she has
and immediately
does things not trained for as he 'senses'  her needs.
I have seen the change in our dogs when they are with me when I travel alone as
I am in a "weakened
insecure state"  when I'm alone and without my husband......they usually stand
right next to me at all
times and in front of me when someone approaches to visit at shows or wherever.
They are not watching and waiting for me to "fail" in my leadership over
them....but are literally making
themselves available as they sense the "need"  or insecurity on our part.
A few  yrs. ago I took a bad fall and knocked myself unconscious......( yeah,
yeah, I know Basu.....that's
probably what is wrong with me   <G> ) ......when I came too a few minutes
later the 4 dominant dogs
I had out with me were standing all around me kissing me on the face fussing
over me.....and let me
lean on them to get up.   In all the cases of weakness that I show occasionally
.....as Mo stated.....our
dogs always iterally are 'there and ready'  when we "need"  them in their mind.

 I know of no dog that would protect it's owner to the death that is doing it
with dinner on their mind.
<G>
I understand your point.......they ARE in our care and they bow to our
leadership as long as we are
good leaders....but they are amazing in their willingness and dedication to
taking care of "situations"
when the need arises and they take over the leadership role for that moment.
 I believe they think
THEY are caring for us at times.
WE put them in the position of needing us because we kennel them and crate them
and leash them.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  -----
  From: MORGAN LEWIS To: dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx Cc: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent:
Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:06 AM

  Sorry but I agree with Carolyn, Unconditional LOVE; Yes they have needs, but
they can also "Read" us like
  a book, probably better than most human's can. I would hate to think of a
world without our furbabies. The
  smiles and laughter they can bring to some stranger in a nursing home or
school is "PRICELESS"
  Morgan and His Angels

  Shelia,
    I can see them looking for weakness in the leadership when they are in the
wild!!!!!!!!! I went thru
  a particularly nasty surgery 14 years ago and one that pretty much took 6
months to totally be back.
   My old Lady Goose was the first to join me on the couch when I needed some
"down time". I can
  not even begin to tell you the comfort she was. Let the younger dogs get
around?
  She'd curl that lip at them........let the phone ring.........she'd curl that
lip! It was like she was telling the
  world to go away and leave me  alone! It is true she was my
charge..............AND she was also a
  TREMENDOUS FRIEND......that was protecting me.There was NEVER a doubt in her
mind or mine
  who was the Alpha, she saw that I needed help and she gave it.
  I am SO sorry you've never had that kind of a relationship with your dogs.  Mo

  From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re:
depression and dogs
  My dogs care when I am sad, to be sure. But they are also always looking for
weakness in the leadership.
  They are not my friends, they are my charges. They come to me for their
needs, not my needs. It is a sign
  of poor leadership on my part to see them as anything but wanting.
  However it is that very wanting that keeps me going. That need for me to do
for them is the drug, not the
  dogs themselves.
  Unconditional Want, that is how I see it. If they don't have an itch, a need
for grass, food or water, I don't
  see them doing much but waiting to need something.  sheila

  --- On Sat, 12/27/08, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  A good dog ( ESPECIALLY a German Shepherd Dog ) always makes you laugh and
keeps you busy
  if you are really enjoying your dog or dogs........and they are ALWAYS there
with that same steady
  unconditional love just waiting to please you for just a pet  and a praise!
  You don't have to explain anything to them........they know when you are sad
and they know when
  they please you and you are happy. I've known this since I was a kid without
any scientific studies
  ..........as Evan would say: "we don't need no stinkin' study to tell us
that" ........
  we HAVE those dogs! <G>
  Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  www.Marhaven.com

  --- On Sat, 12/27/08, Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx> wrote:

  Permission to crosspost:   (thought you all might find this interesting)
  "1. Dogs More Effective Than   Prozac Want to cut down on doctor visits and
be more active?
    Get a dog! University of British Columbia professor and author Stanley
Coren says dogs work
    better atreducing stress than the antidepressant Prozac. A recent   study
published in the journal
    “Psychosomatic Medicine” found that positive effects produced by   dogs
included several   signs
  of reduced stress, including lowered blood pressure, slowed heart   rate and
more   relaxed muscles.
  And those relaxing effects were attained much more   rapidly than pills.
Having a dog close by
  reduced stress in as little as five minutes, where   prescription medications
  can take weeks before
   taking effect. “The data is absolutely   unambiguous,” Coren told
Canada.com. “This actually works
   better than   having a loved one next to you.” Amazingly, research shows
that dog owners   visit their
  doctors less often and are more physically active than non-dog   owners. And
seniors who own dogs
  are four times less likely to be victims   of depression. “It’  quite an
amazing statistic,”
  said Coren, author of   several books on how humans interact with dogs
including “How to Speak
    Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human   Communication

  diane
  Diane Strasser
  Silstra