[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Not in my backyard

  • From: Paulette McGuirt <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:05:13 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

In a message dated Sep 6, 2007 10:26 PM
Evan <ELG440@xxxxxxx> writes:

>I want a dog that loves me, that wants my attention. I want a dog that is
>always concerned with what is going on around him,and wants to work within the
>
>enviornment, not letting it pass him by. I want a dog that dotes on my moods,
>wants to please me, and is happy to re recognized, and shows it with a
>wag,and a  kiss.  I want a dog that will jump on the bed, to be told to get
>off, at
>least three times. I want a dog that reacts to my pets, and comes back for
>more.  I want a dog that is so happy to see me when I get home, I have to
>sneak
>into  the house so he won't knock me down. I want a dog that makes me laugh
>when I am  sad, and calms me down when I am aggitated. I want a dog that needs
>me, as much  as I need him.

Evan, My 100% American show lines GSD is just as you describe above, but only
with my husband, our close friends, and me.  In public, he is aloof, but will
allow anyone to pet him; however, he does not display affection when petted by
a stranger.  (He does love kids though.)  My boy is very alert and is
interested in his environment, yet I can take this dog *anywhere* and not worry
about him spooking or showing aggression toward humans or animals.

Does my boy have an American or German temperament?  IMO, he simply has a
*correct* temperament as defined by the Standard.

Paulette McGuirt
GSDCA Member