[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Not in my backyard

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:05:59 -0400

Evan,
As Jeff so accurately put it, novices, juniors, amateurs owners etc. can
find it intimidating, to go into a ring at a Futurity with the very
accomplished, talented handlers that usually win the Futurities.  What is
meant by a :"level playing field" is that these amateurs can go into a ring
knowing they are not up against a pro and the skills that those pros have in
abundance. It has nothing to do with a judge being "slanted" We are talking
"experience" here.   We are not, for one minute, assuming that the judges
that judge the Regular Futurity are in any way "slanted" toward the
professionals. No one has suggested that and I am surprised that you have.
Secondly, owners such as Julie Degen can enjoy getting out there & have fun
with their dogs.  So, Evan, there is no need for you to be troubled, the
Board is not insulting the Futurity Judges, rather the Board may feel
insulted that you would even think that the Board is sending out the message
that it thinks our Futurity Judges aren't judging on a "leveling playing
field" in their selections.
We just want you to get completely well, & gain weight so YOU can get out
there and win a Best In Amateur.
Nancy Harper
National Futurity Chair