[ SHOWGSD-L ] Not even albino wolves!

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 15:43:05 -0700

"Albino wolves" do not exist in the wild, for two reasons: wolves don't
really have albinism in their genetic pool, and anyway, albino wolves would
not live past the juvenile stage since an albino wolf would be usually born
blind (which would be fatal for a wolf) and I would think they would be
prone to cancer since as they have no protection from the sun. If an albino
wolf did exist, it would indeed have red or pink eyes. People who refer to
"albino" wolves are probably talking about white wolves or Arctic wolves.
Another note - wolves do not have blue eyes. Pups are born with blue eyes
much like our GSD pups. Around the age of about 8-16 weeks the wolf cub eyes
slowly change to a gold-yellow color (or brown, amber and in rare cases an
orange color). My full blooded Can. Timber wolf eyes turned amber with he
was much older like 5 months or so. Otherwise they had the blue tint as a
baby then started to turn a yellowish green to amber. Eyes that were
haunting as his soul.

Kathy Partch www.JoKaySedona.com <http://www.jokaysedona.com/>

http://showgsd.org/mail.html