[ SHOWGSD-L ] Not as true as it used to be...

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:26:57 -0500

From: <GEschette@xxxxxxx>
>> To: <hcj2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: 12/10/2005 8:20:10 AM
>> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Judges
>>
>> There are several judges that are breeder judges, but most of the dogs
> they
>> showed, showed only in all breed shows. Know some of these judges judge
> at
>> specialty shows. So, they probably wont put up the same type of dog =
that
>> breeder judge who shows at specialty shows.
>> Greg

Greg - when I first came into the breed in the late 70's, there was a much =
bigger difference between the "all-breed" champion and the "specialty" =
champion than there is today.  And the change, IMO, has happened much more =
on the "specialty" side of the house than in the all-breed venue.  Today =
our good breeder judges pay more attention to the finishing touches on our =
dogs rather than bowing only to the almighty god of sidegait.  Feet, =
pasterns, expression, head, earset, clean coming and going are all things =
our good breeder judges pay attention to these days.  Many of our =
specialty animals of the past weren't competitive in the all-breed ring =
when I first started in GSD's because many of their rears were scary =
looking to the rest of the dog world.  And, thankfully, they've become =
scary looking to good German Shepherd breeders and breeder/judges in =
today's competitive environment. =20

Many of us these days compete in both the all-breed and the specialty =
rings and can be successful in both.  My recent champions have won majors =
in both venues and have been competitive at our national as well.  To me, =
a really good GSD is competitive in both rings.  And, a good breeder judge =
can find a good one whether it's in the all-breed ring or the specialty =
ring.

JMO,

Laurie Pruett