[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Noseprint?

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 06:42:02 GMT

Yep, I don't know if it is done now, but, when I lived in Detroit (pre-1978) I
registered my dogs with the CKC and showed in Canada.  We had a choice of
nose-printing or tattooing.  I preferred tattoos because it served a
dual-purpose for me.  It was good I.D. if a dog was lost or stolen (don't
forget, this was before micro-chipping) and satisfied the CKC's requirements
for registration.  I think I did a nose-print, too, on one or two dogs.  CKC
was way ahead of the AKC as far as trying to ensure the identity of their
registered dogs.  Nose prints were believed to be as individual as fingerprints
are in human.  Of course, now we know better, but, this was before DNA and
other more accurate ways of identifying individuals.

Paula, 276 days and counting