[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: No Pit for me

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 00:17:35 EST

In a message dated 4/1/2006 9:47:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:
but I'd  do a
section any time rather than risk losing the bitch just because I
couldn't wait for her to get on with it.

For me it's never been about being impatient about the bitch "getting on
with it"; (I work from home, I can put clients on hold, so believe me, I'm in
no
hurry and I don't leave mom's side anyway) ~ it's been about getting  puppies
out alive once mom begins to tire.

I'll tell you though, today's posts have been eye openers.  I don't  doubt
that kennel help gave Helen's bitch pit WHILE SHE WAS HAVING CONTRACTIONS
(!!!!), and I can't imagine anyone (continuing to) "shoot a  bitch full of
pit" as
Peggy says not realizing that if a puppy isn't born after one shot (and  I
always walk the gal), that something is wrong, you have the possibility of a
puppy in a bad position or worse, you could even have a horn of the uterus
twisted, although I don't doubt for a minute that in careless hands it's been
done ~ nor can I fathom not being able to tell if there is a puppy in  the
birth
canal, but I will say I've had WONDERFUL teachers, so THANK YOU to  them:)

With all of these horror stories and people not knowing what they are  doing
it's become abundantly clear to me why some vets are reluctant to  prescribe
pit!

(You know, this is a good idea for a regional club educational program and
I'm going to follow thru with it and put a panel together!)

I'll still not whelp a litter without pit though.  I'm pretty certain  I
would have lost two out of the last litter of eleven without it.  I knew  we
didn't have all the placentas and I weighed a "clean out" shot against  putting
my
gal on antibiotics to ward off possible infection.  The pit  shot with the
added benefit of increasing milk production won out over the  possible side
effects of the puppies having loose stools from mom being on  antibiotics, but,
admit, it was a toss up and on another day I might have made  a different
decision.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_