[ SHOWGSD-L ] No Pit for me

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:54:25 -0500

Well as you all know I came across the List yesterday asking about those
of you who have had small litters and using the Pit shot on your
bitches.  The majority of you do use the Pit shot you told me.  Most
said anywhere from 1/2cc to 1 cc and occasionally up to 1 1/2 cc.  I
thank all of you who responded.  However, I still do not have the Pit
shot.  I called my vet first thing this morning requesting it.
Naturally I never got to speak to her, just the receptionist who went
back and forth with me on the phone asking my questions to the vet.  She
came back and said ALL THE VET'S in the office said NO PIT.  It can
rupture the uterus.  I told her, well when I've talked to the vet about
this before, she said I could have three pit shots.  Alright, I'm told,
but only .3 cc. in each needle.  Not even an 1/2 cc in each needle.  So
I tell her that's not enough to do anything for her.  Again, she comes
back on the phone.....okay, I can have the 1 1/2 cc total so come in and
get it.  I go in to their very busy office and finally the needles are
presented to me.  I look them over and it's marked 3 cc on the label
that the three syringes are in.  I ask her is this 3 cc that they are
giving me.  She goes to the back room.  A technician comes out and tells
me, no it is .3 cc in each syringe for a total of .9 cc.  I  now tell
her .3 cc will do nothing for the bitch.  "Oh yes, it will, the doctor
looked it up for your size bitch and this is the correct amount," she
tells me.  She assures me that they know what they are doing.  They give
me a bill for $75.  $25 for each .3 cc needle!  I tell them that a whole
bottle cost about $5, and I'm being asked to pay $75 for less than 1 cc
of Pit.  I refused to do it and said I'll call them if my bitch gets
into any problems.  Now I ask you all, what good would .3 cc's would
have done for her?  So I'm right back to where I started.  Forget about
the vet who has her office 5 minutes down the street from me in my own
town...............She's the one I told you guys about last year that
refuses to help any breeders with getting their bitches pregnant.  She
doesn't like breeders.  She works with all the shelter animals.......and
you know the rest of the story.  So my "two puppy" litter is not getting
the assistance she may need except from me.  I've been keeping track of
her temperatures.  She's not due until next Saturday if she goes 63
days.  Her temperature today is 99.6.  I've got the Vanilla ice cream on
hand as someone recommended for calcium.   A very good friend of mine in
Connecticut was willing to give me her Pit shots which her vet gives her
for nothing, but Connecticut is not around the corner.  Any other
suggestions from you "ol wise ones?"  Best,  Barbara