[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: (No Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 08:05:43 -0700

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <midnitegsd@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Brenda:

So sorry to hear of your loss and what a terrible experience it must have
been!

Puppies here get "Soaked" until all but a little moisture is left until they
are about 8-9 weeks.  After that, I put warm water in the food and it soaks
the liquid for about 5 minutes -- so when I put their down -- it's still got
a lot of water in it.

Since by this time they are getting only 3-4 meals -- at least 2 meals are
with water, and one/two are just dry food.  They learn to crunch too --
because they've got to learn to use their jaws and muscles.  Sometimes I
substitute one meal with a smaller amount of kibble and throw out some big
milk bones.  I change it up so they start using their noses looking for the
milkbones and again, working their jaws.

The kibble size I use is medium in size -- about the size of a chickpea
(garbanzo bean) -- Small kibble maybe easier to digest, but easier isn't
always better.

Hope this helps and again -- sorry for your loss,

Kathaleen