[ SHOWGSD-L ] No Barking! I'm with the Neighbor

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:30:07 -0700

>I hate to say this, but as a person who has some noisy dogs living
>near me, my sympathy is with the neighbor on this one...
> No reason for dogs of any breed to be noisy...  Maybe it's because I
> grew up with a mom who when she told our dogs to be quiet, dogs for
> two miles around would be quiet. My mom lives in the city with 6 - 8
> dogs at anyone time so barking is NOT an option except a warning
> woof when someone comes to the door.
> Jess M.

Ah Jess, we have to get you to come visit in rural Nevada. It is a
wonderful experience.

We hear no horns honking, no couples fighting, no sirens blaring and
no gun shots at night. What we do hear is the sound of silence,
punctuated by the cows at the ranch down the street, the peacock up
the canyon, the coyotes howling and hunting, a horse or three
whinnying and , yes, some dogs barking. These are the wonderful sounds
of the country, and if I heard no dogs at all, I would assume that
there was no danger, but when I hear them I feel sure I should pay
attention to see if the coyotes are getting too close, the deer at the
barn are OK and that the horses are not being stalked by our local Mt.
Lion.

I suppose it is all a matter of context. Mine get to bark... Besides
their meow lessons are a complete failure. <g>

Dave