[ SHOWGSD-L ] Newbies to the Breed

  • From: "Mike & Kathy Gray" <mlgray@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:04:08 -0700

    There was a lot of talk concerning getting new people into the GSD
breed. I wanted to state my feelings since I have been involved for a
shorter period of time than most of you. I started in 1978 working with
security dogs (GSDs) for my employer. I did that until 1985. I also was
privileged to obtain a puppy from a working police dog, which I trained in
the Schutzhund sport. It was during this time period when Bruno and I became
involved with a small group of great people, also known as the Santa Maria /
San Luis Bay GSDC. It was a little strange going from training with people
who were doing Schutzhund to training with people who were mostly
conformation people. I think a new person with an outgoing personality would
not have a problem joining up with Conformation people. However, if a person
is a timid sort, which I do not think there are a lot of in
this breed, they will probably find it a little more difficult. After Bruno
passed away in 2001, I was again surrounded with people who would help me
find another puppy(thanks Cindy). This one ended up being a pet quality
(Monorchid) out of Kathy Swick's Cappy, from Boss. To the Martello's, the
dog is a wonderful nut(no pun intended). Thanks for the breeding.  I know
several people who would take him at any given moment.
   After traveling to several Conformation shows and "acting" as Show
Chairman for the Santa Maria/San Luis Bay GSDC, I have gotten to know a lot
more people. I think that some of the Conformation people who were
standoffish, it could be very possible that is due to all of you take this
sport seriously. (IMO) It takes a while for serious people in any facet of
life to take someone else seriously until they know that they are serious
also. The term serious can include caring for the GSD breed, which I
personally do not think there is a better one.
    As some of you know, Lance and I were at the National Specialty in
Albany this year. There were a couple of things I wanted to enter him in.
One was the Temperament test. The other was the Herding Instinct Test(Don't
laugh Jenn). When I received the entry form, I filled it out as I thought
was correct. There was no space on the form for the HIT, so I checked the
box Herding Test. On that fateful Monday morning, we set in the chairs
watching the people and sheep all day long. I watched the sheep and Lance
watched the people. He had never seen sheep before in his life. By the time
it came for us to go into the arena with the sheep, almost everyone there
knew what had happened with the entry form.
   I honestly do not believe that very many people left the ranch because
they wanted to see what happen. Lance and I went in to the arena with the
Judge. He did extremely well and I was so amazed at what a great job he was
doing, I forgot what I was suppose to do. My whole point of this is that I
knew very few people there and received a ton of support from a whole lot of
them. Not all of them are into conformation, but there was a large number of
them there. Lance did end up with his HIT certificate. So thank you all for
attempting to help.  Ok Jenn, now you can chuckle.

Mike Gray
Santa Maria/San Luis Bay GSD