[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Newbies, showing, Barbara's blog

  • From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 19:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

You know newbies often do receive conflicting advice.  Sometimes you've got to
figure it out, trial and error, with more errors than not.  If I like what
you're breeding I follow your advice. And

1. I was first taught that any dog who was not finished was not worth breeding.

If the dog got the CH, he/she was worth breeding. Now it seems that people are
breeding the dog as early as possible, to prove whether it can produce, to
decide whether it's worth finishing. The show ring is no longer ussed to
evaluate breeding stock, but to validate the breeder's program/progress.

2. Get the best bitch you can buy.  Except who sells the newbie  a very good
bitch?  So I persisted and got a good male, and tried the next piece of advice-

3. If you want a good one, breed it yourself.

So I was often asked what my male produces, and my answer was, I don't know, I
don't own any females to breed to him.   At three, they impressed upon me that
need to hurry and finish the dog or breed him (trust me, if you've seen this
dog, he is not falling apart at three!)  Finally someone volunteered their
females. The first breeding was to make sure he was viable, the second to
produce a show bitch for me and the third because there was something I had to
know.

Now I have what I want, five years down the line. This is the first female gsd
have had since I was 8. I am through and through satisfied.  I will continue in
this sport till I finish this dog and his daughter, and I suspect that I will
want more later. I am not so much motivated  by the love of the sport but they
the love of this dog.  Will I breed to continue the legacy,  well ask me that
two years from now.

Denise W.
The Good Ole Boys~Chopper and Chase
http://www.showgermanshepherds.info
for show and performance
(join my site ring-follow the link)

________________________________
From: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx To: roxyjoefrankie@xxxxxxxxx ;
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Helping Newbies
Dear "roxyjoefrankie@xxxxxxxxx"....
    I love helping Newbies.  When they listen.
        But here's the deal......how many newbies do you know that have even
bought the first book on our breed?

I remember when I first became "inflamed" I sought out every book I could find
on the subjects of the history of

the breed, breeding, gait, obedience, nutrition for dogs, canine reproduction,
genetics (basic), etc.   In saying that,

I mean only to tell you that there is alot of homework that newbies can do, and
in doing so, will go far in gaining the

respect of your mentors.  If the newbie is not willing to put in the hours and
dedication, mentoring is an exercise

in futility.
         Most of us "old-timers" have done our studies, taken our lumps, borne
our back-stabbing and rudeness from

older exhibitors of the time.  We have been where you are and as much as we'd
like to save you from all of it,

it's impossible to impart any such wisdom in a nutshell at ringside.
We are most DEFINITELY here to mentor

you....but most of us are not willing to spoon-feed.  If you love the breed and
the sport (and it sounds like you do) you will
prevail.  Just toughen up, girl.  <VBG>
           Jamie
P.S.  Quiz question:  Who was Flora Berkemeyer and how does she compare with
the
dogs of today?

----- Original Message -----  roxyjoefrankie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Being fairly new to showing although i have always had German shepherds > I'd
>like to say that we need more
mentors helping out the newbies. It has > been a rough road for myself  trying
to get people to be friendly and give

> advice without being put out.

Everyone once in awhile I find the need to comment on a subject and this is
one.  It has hit to close to home recently.

Seems that more often  than not these past few years, I have been the one burnt
and discouraged by  trying to be
a good mentor and friend to our breed.
Many years ago when I started in this breed, I found myself saying the same
thing that is stated below.  People

were not friendly and I felt like I had  the big "L" on my forehead and no one
wanted to associate with a beginner

and  give advice.  I vowed not to be like that.

Well....now I understand why people don't reach out like they should.   I even
went so far as to give my pick of the

litter to new show people.  It  was a huge mistake (but must say, it looks like
it is turning out).  Seems  "newbies"
say they want to learn and listen but don't.

I find it is better to stick to oneself instead of offering advice and  help.
Dog showing is my hobby and I use to have

so much fun.  These  past years, the fun is going away and I am starting to
rethink about continuing  this hobby that
I love so much.  A person can be friendly, helpful, and try  to do all the
right
things for this breed and still get stabbed

in the back and  trampled upon.  That is why so many of us experienced people
are backing  off and keeping to

ourselves.  Kindness is not look upon as just that
anymore.  JMHO.

In a message dated 7/7/2010 11:28:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
roxyjoefrankie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Being  fairly new to showing although i have always had German shepherds
I'd like to  say that we need more mentors helping out the newbies. It has
been a rough  road for myself  trying to get people to be friendly and give
advice  without being put out. I recently approached a new person and gave
advice on  showing and she was greatly appreciative for my thoughtfulness. She
also has  had a hard time meeting people and making friends. She is young and
very  excited to show but was becoming disappointed in how she was treated.
I have  been lucky enough lately to get myself a good mentor and help guide
me along  and introduce me to people who seems to be very nice and some not
so. But that  is fine. I take it all in stride. I'm not a quitter and have
prevailed through  alot of mean remarks and laughs behind my back. It's the
love for the  breed that keeps me going. . My point is Help these new people
yes, there  competition but that's what it's all about. And without
the new young and  upcoming exhibitors and handlers you all ask, where will
we be in the near  future. I'd like to see more kindness and introductions
to the new people you  meet at shows. You never know they may teach us all a
few new things and what  does it hurt in meeting new friends and answering
a few questions. Alittle  kindness can go along way.

MANNER
ALL