[ SHOWGSD-L ] Newbie question--agent

  • From: Peter Cacioppo <PeterCacioppo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org old list" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:32:30 -0800

Leslie,

Besides what Candy Z said (see below), an agent can also be the person who
entered the dog for you, such as your trainer in some relationships.  I have
had trainers put down their name and also the handler we are going to use,
thus two names on the agent line.  Many owners are not physically able to
handle their GSDs in the large specialty rings, or even do a good job in a
small all breed ring, thus professional handlers are used.  Also there is
the fact that in a lot of dog shows the top couple of dogs in a class will
be pretty close and having a professional in there (especially if the dog
knows him) cuts down a lot on minor mishaps by the dog, and thus increases
the chance that the dog will win.  You also asked why a higher percentage of
GSDs have agents than some other breeds...that I do not know as each breed I
would imagine has its own culture/situation, dependent on the type of show
and geographical location of the show in relationship to the breed.  Just
this month's AKC Gazette, March, 2006, had the 2005 statistics for AKC
breeds as to number of puppies registered for each breed and number of
litters registered per breed.  When you compare our breed, which had 45,014
puppies registered in 2005 versus other breeds (such as Wire Fox Terriers,
which had only 1,141 puppies registered, or Belgian Tervugen, which had only
507 puppies registered), the culture of All Breed shows versus Specialties,
the type of handlers needed for a breed and many other factors you get the
idea that many factors can be present to explain differences.    Hope that
answers your questions (see below) Leslie but if not please send a follow up
question to the list.  I think that if you go to a lot of Specialty shows,
which you should, read the catalog, see who is listed as agent, and watch
the skill of the handlers...then Candy's and my comments will mean more to
you.

To improve the health of the GSD contribute to The American German Shepherd
Dog Charitable Foundation, Inc. (see web page for all details:
www.agsdcf.org  )., thanks. (by the way...we are affiliated with the German
Shepherd Dog Club of America ).

Peter Cacioppo...Eagle Hill, Moraga, CA

www.members.tripod.com/EagleGSD
Eagle Hill Vineyards and Winery, German Shepherds and Belted Galloway cattle

FROM Candy Z: