[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New free E-Magazine.

  • From: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 23:37:37 -0400

Just got home, am still reading lots of email, but was surprised to see =
the
posts on this topic.  The Budget and Finance Committee is not the Board, =
it
is just a committee of the Board.  Like all committees, it has the =
ability
to propose things to the Board, to make recommendations, and because its
work is the Club's Budget and Finance, to review expenses for =
consistency
with the budget and financial soundness, but not to make Club policy.  =
The
Board runs the Club, it is not run by the Budget and Finance Committee.

I have no record in my notes of any communication or the report from =
Budget
and Finance relating to Becky's proposed online magazine, nor of a
recommendation against it by the Committee.  Had that happened however, =
even
if the Committee decided to recommend against the proposal, that would =
have
been a recommendation the Board had the option to accept or to reject.  =
What
concerns me is that apparently that did not happen. =20

We had this exact issue come up at the January Board Meeting and I =
indicated
at that time that decisions are made by the Board, not by the Budget and
Finance Committee (January 2007 Minutes, pp. 8 and 17), and that all
language dealing with the issue needed to be clear on that point so =
there
would be no confusion.  For anyone who wants to follow the discussion, I
sent the approved final October and January Minutes to Bill yesterday, =
so
they will appear on the web site soon I am sure.

I was also rather perplexed at the B&F Committee taking a position on =
the
elimination of a Committee Chair (National Sites and Board Meeting =
Sites),
do not get what this has to do with the role of the B&F Committee.=20

Margy Golant