[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New answer. judges & future judges

  • From: barbarar <domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:42:01 -0500

I think the term "evaluate breeding stock" is a misnomer.
Shows are a place to see the dogs that you would want to know more
about..  Much more information should be sought.   How do you know that
the "breeding stock" is not harboring  problems that it took you 30
years to get rid of.     Beauty and Movement are just two of the
criteria.    And who says we all see the dogs in
the same light!
barbara

InquestGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Fred says:
>First do  we agree dog shows are a place to evaluate breeding stock.  The
>judge is  saying with his/her top placing's these are the dogs that  in my
>opinion
>should be used for breeding.
>
>Evan  says:
>No.  I do not agree with this premise at all. The judge is  empowered  by the
>AKC to decide which dog comes closet to the standard  as set forth by the
>parent club of that breed. It is presumptive to  say we as judges should be
>dictating who or what to do with breeding.  We are not privy to necessary
>breeding
>information such as pedigrees,  or health problems in the background of  the
>dogs we judge.  We  are just the judge, we are not the breed  wardens.
>

>Evan, Fred said that dog shows are a place to evaluate breeding stock. A
>place, not THE place.  This is true, it is one of the places where we  do
>that.
>Not the only one (hopefully).  Dog shows are not the place  where we CERTIFIED
>breeding stock, in the US there is not breed warden, so  it is, or should be,
> the responsibility of those involved in doing  breedings (stud and brood
>bitches owners alike) to secure the rest of the  information.
>As you said, we are not privy to the rest of the necessary criteria.
>But the fact remains, dog shows are one of the ways used to evaluate
>breeding stock.
>And yes, you can disagree with my correctness.  <G>
>
>Ileana

>POST is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the property of the original
>are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

>PROSECUTED.

>VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://www.showgsd.org

BarbaraR
domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx