[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New Topic Positive Legislation

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mtmsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:04:11 -0700

Mary, what is a puppy mill?  Is it the number of dogs, the number of
intact dogs or the standards in which a kennel is kept?  Kennel
masters with their employees could easily care for many more than 25
breeding adult bitches.   The problem with a number is that nobody
knows of what an individual person/kennel is capable.  This year
alone, legislation was introduced to limit intact adult dogs from 75
to 10.

Also, and this is important, there are already laws in place to
inspect and control kennels which sell wholesale.  If the kennel isn't
licensed, it is already breaking the law.  If the licensed kennel is
caring for the dogs in an inhumane manner, they are already breaking
the law.  Why create more laws when the laws in place need more
personnel, more oversight, more strengthening?

There are some good laws that could be introduced.  More oversight of
animal shelters, laws that produce education, voluntary s/n in areas
of low income, More outreach of Animal Control personnel.   I would
even throw in repealing BSL and dog limits.  Force city/county
legislators to prove that dog limits of 3 or 4 increase complaints or
citations or stray dogs.   Look to Calgary for dog laws that work,
take the options that work in the various communities.   Look into
Nathan Winodrad's no kill programs.   Yes, come up with good laws, but
not restrictive or punishing ones.  They always backfire, don't work,
cost money and the people who don't obey laws, won't obey those for
sure.

JMO, but keep thinking, Mary.   GOOD laws do not take away freedoms,
they give it.

Stormy