[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New Question. judges & future judges

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:16:22 -0700 (PDT)

So this is an interesting dilemna. I would say, firstly, my procedure would
require the dogs to go at a slow trot on a loose lead. This i would think help
level the playing field when it comes to attitude vs less attitude. I think it
would come down to a matter of degree, and that what makes a hypothetical
question like this difficult to answer without actually seeing the two dog. I
think i would rest on my procedure and understanding of the standard to
evaluate the two dogs, knowing my procedure lessens the advangtage a dog with
more attitude might otherwise have.

 That being said, if the dog that didn't have attitude was a real "dead head" i
would be concerned it's work ethic(understanding fully well that a dead head in
the show ring doesn't necessarily translate to a dog that doesn't like to work).

Interesting question though, as this is the sort of situation that leads one to
look at oneself as to what they prioritize in the ring.

Bill
almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
when a dog has a very lackluster attitude in the ring they will not use
themselves properly or efficiently therefore making it very hard to evaluate
their movement against what the standard calls for. We know that dogs can
ruin themselves by the way they show. So in all actuality you aren't
judging showmanship, but showmanship is what makes the evaluation & judging
easier.

In other words you can have a really nice animal screw itself up and one
with a little lesser merits show everything it has to the fullest extent
and never misses a step.
As a judge you have to be able to see their qualities to judge
them....................even if it's just a small portion of the ring as in
Fred's statement on the way to the exit.
Amy Safdir
Almanya Shepherds
www.almanyagsd.com