[ SHOWGSD-L ] New Parvo Treatment

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:18:28 +0000

FYI - crossposted from another list...............
Subject: Tamiflu the drug for PARVO! I just tried it and it works!

I just had the opportunity to experiment for the first time with Tamiflu for
the treatment of Parvo. The subject is an 8-week old redbone puppy who was
diagnosed on Monday evening. She presented with vomiting (several times) and
was quite weak and lethargic. She was given the first dose orally Monday
night. Tuesday, at around noon an IV catheter was placed and she was given
supportive IV fluids, along with some IV antibiotics and anti-emetics for good
measure. She never did vomit after the first Tamiflu dose, and she only had
ONE minor blowout with diarrhea on Tuesday morning. By Wednesday morning, we
decided to give her water and a small amount of science diet I/D (bland diet)
to see if she could keep it down. She did! Her next BM came this evening and
it was for the most part, very solid and not bloody. Within 36 hours of the
first Tamiflu dose she was up and running around and was wanting to play. 48
hours from the first dose, she is almost back to her old self. I couldn't
believe it. All of the studies I have read suggest that one can get away with
subcutaneous fluids and oral antibiotics along with the Tamiflu. I chose not
to do this with her only because I wasn't ready to experiment that much. But I
am amazed at the super quick turn around she has made and am VERY encouraged
by what I have seen with this drug.

Please feel free to cross post this information and let your vets know to
check it out on VIN (veterinary information network). I truly believe that
this drug will change the treatment protocol for parvo and will significantly
reduce the financial burden that treating this awful virus places on rescue.
The vet that started all of this was experimenting with shelter puppies, using
the bare minimum in supportive care and reported a 100% cure rate with Tamiflu
administration as opposed to a 25% cure rate with traditional therapies. He
also reported a 2-3 day recovery for most of the puppies he treated. The trick
is to start the Tamiflu as early as possible, as it inhibits the virus's
ability to travel outside the GI tract and into other parts of the body (that
is, organ systems). Puppies who die from Parvo generally die from dehydration
and sepsis. Tamiflu keeps the virus inside the GI tract so generalized sepsis
is not an issue.  VERY EXCITING STUFF!
 Anyway, Pass this along. :)
 Erika Dillingham
 Rescue Support Volunteer