[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New Litter Anouncement/ heat wave

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Glasspal1@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 06:56:56 EDT

I was going to send this privately to Bobbie, but then thought others may
benefit (with the heat wave in some parts of the country).

I've had two litters over the years where we had an unexpected heat  wave.
Once the puppies are 2+ weeks old and can regulate their body temp,  in
addition to box fans, I would "save" water/soda bottles, fill w/ water 2/3
full and freeze.  I amassed quite a collection!  Then several times a  day I'd
scatter the frozen water bottles around the whelping area.  The  babies
would actually fall asleep hugging them:)  Bonus, the bottles are  cool toys as
the kids get older <G>.

Some may know this trick, but for those that don't, enjoy!

I always feel so bad for momma who has to be hot until the babies are old
enough to regulate body temp....
good luck w/ the litter Bobbie!  enjoy!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 7/17/2009 3:37:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Glasspal1@xxxxxxx writes:

Trying  to keep Mom and kids cool

**************Can love help you live longer? Find out now.
(http://personals.aol.com/articles/2009/02/18/longer-lives-through-relationships/?ncid=emlweu