[ SHOWGSD-L ] New List Member

  • From: "Katherine Heckman" <KHeckman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ShowGSD-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:43:25 -0400

Hello List Members!
I just joined the list and I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  My
name is Kathy Heckman and I live in Coastal North Carolina.  I have owned
German Shepherds for about 12 years.  However, I do not currently have one at
this time.  I lost my most precious boy only 2 days ago.  I won't dwell on
that, I am here to re-join the world of German Shepherd Dogs.
I haven't been in an obedience ring since my oldest child was about 2 yrs old,
and he is 9yrs old now.  I have never shown a dog in confirmation, but I had
the distinct pleasure to own a champion.
I'm sure most, if not all of you know Carole, she is on the list, and she
graciously gave me the opportunity to own a wonderful dog, Ch. Carlo's Rolls
Royce, aka: Bentley.  I can't tell you how much a wonderful dog like that can
bring so much to one's life, but I'm sure you all have an idea!
I have read many post this evening from those talking about temperament, and
gun fire...I don't have a great deal of knowledge about breeding and
temperament tests, but drawing from my personal experience with the dogs I have
owned, even if my dog shied away at the sound of gun fire or fire crackers, and
he did, this can not be a true consideration of sound temperament.  Now, maybe
I have misunderstood the entire conversation, but to me, a sound temperament
could be no more than what I asked for from my "Beanie", to be good with
children, not just mine, to stand his ground, but not be aggressive, to know
when to back down and to love me unconditionally.  I'm sure everyone has their
own opinion of temperament and then the standard. Should we continue to ask
even more from our dogs when they give us the best they have?
I look forward to reading posts and posting occasionally.  I am here to learn,
and will probably not post much.  I'm sure I will have questions, and any and
all opinions are appreciated.  And yes, I do realize that everyone has their
own opinion.
Best Wishes to you all,
Kathy Heckman
The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's
animals are treated. ~ M. Gandhi