[ SHOWGSD-L ] New GSD Owners/What happened to this Dog???

  • From: Cindy <sophoclesajax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 17:08:15 -0700

Neighbor just came to my door . . .
to tell me that her family's recently adopted GSD (purepred) adolescent
puppy, female, from one of the smaller "start up" GSD rescues here (which
obtained the dog from the euthanasia list), was taken critically ill to vet
-- tongue gray and hanging out of mouth, eyes bulging -- and they were told
they must euthanize asap.  Vet stated some "extremely rare" skull genetic
deformity that was affecting her brain & neurological system.

Dog died as she was just speaking to me a few minutes ago & I was trying to
get information out of her to help.

Anyone have any idea what this could have been???

I do not know of a GSD specific condition/genetic problem involving the
skull specifically, as present in other breeds.

The family is devastated . . . had young children involved . . . family had
dreams of a owning a purebred GSD. Can't we all relate to that? GSDs
***ARE*** a dream to own. Sad, very sad.

I do not trust the accuracy of diagnosing, comments, recommendation,
whatever care was given by this unknown vet. So far as I  know, this is not
a vet with any experience/knowledge with German Shepherds.

I don't trust a vet unless they know my breed WELL, for general health,
and/or have particular knowledge, experience with a specific serious or
ongoing health concern that arises.

Anyone seen or heard of anything like this in a GSD?

Only other hx was some recent on & off vomiting and diarrhea which was
presumed to be ordinary diet upset/touchy stomach, vet (same) wrote off as
"normal puppy stuff," that was inadequately diagnosed.

Thanks.

Cindy