[ SHOWGSD-L ] Neutering

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 07:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

 Not exactly new… this was published last year.  But I had not seen this
study discussed before.
https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/100301g.aspx
New research on the biology of aging in dogs suggests a link between shortened
life expectancy and ovary removal.
The study, published in the December 2009 issue of the journal Aging Cell,
found that Rottweilers that were spayed after they were 6 years old were 4.6
times as likely to reach 13 years of age as were Rottweilers that were spayed
at a younger age.
The finding is important because the average life expectancy of Rottweiler dogs
is 9.4 years, observed research team leader Dr. David J. Waters. "Our results
support the notion that how long females keep their ovaries influences how long
they live," he said.
Dr. Waters is the executive director of the Gerald P. Murphy Cancer Foundation
at the Purdue Research Park in West Lafayette, Ind. The foundation is home to
the Center for Exceptional Longevity Studies, which tracks the oldest living
pet dogs in the country.
Although the findings may challenge long-held notions about pet neutering, Dr.
Waters believes veterinarians shouldn't dismiss the research outright but,
instead, see it as an exciting development in pet longevity research.
"It was once considered a fact the earth was flat, and then somebody's data
said otherwise. That's what scientific discoveries do—they reshape the
intellectual terrain," said Dr. Waters, who is also associate director of
Purdue University's Center on Aging and the Life Course and a professor in the
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences.
Dogs are a good model for cancer studies in humans, and now there's growing
support for using pet dogs in research aimed at helping people live longer
lives. The National Institute on Aging, for instance, issued a call in November
for information on the feasibility of studying pet dogs to advance the study of
human aging.
Dr. Waters' team spent a decade collecting and analyzing medical histories,
longevity, and causes of death for 119 Rottweilers in the United States and
Canada that survived to 13 years of age. These dogs were compared with a group
of 186 Rottweilers with more typical longevity.
Researchers found that female Rottweilers have a distinct survival advantage
over males—a trend also documented in humans. That advantage appears to be
determined by whether the female dog is sexually intact, however. "Taking away
ovaries during the first four years of life completely erased the female
survival advantage," Dr. Waters said.
The Rottweiler research mirrors the findings of the Nurses' Health Study
published in May 2009 in Obstetrics & Gynecology by William Parker, MD, and
colleagues from the John Wayne Cancer Institute in Santa Monica, Calif.
Dr. Parker's group studied more than 29,000 women who underwent a hysterectomy
for benign uterine disease. The findings showed that the benefits of ovary
removal—protection against ovarian, uterine, and breast cancer—were
outweighed by an increased mortality rate from other causes. As a result,
longevity was cut short in women who lost their ovaries before the age of 50,
compared with those who kept their ovaries for at least 50 years.
How ovaries affect longevity in Rottweilers is not understood, but Dr. Waters'
research points to a new set of research questions, recalibrating the
conversation about removing ovaries.
"We liken this to an ecosystem," Dr. Waters explained. "If you take the
caterpillars out of an environment, what are you left with? I'm betting that
like removing all the caterpillars, removing ovaries has unanticipated,
unforeseen consequences. An adverse effect on longevity might just be one of
those consequences."
Does Dr. Waters recommend that every dog owner delay their pet's
ovariohysterectomy? Not at all. In fact, he cautioned against overgeneralizing
the study findings, saying much more research is needed.
"We studied purebred dogs living with responsible owners. You could say our
results aren't pertinent to stray dogs or mongrel dogs. I don't believe every
Rottweiler or every woman will benefit from keeping ovaries. That's an
all-or-none stipulation, and that's not how biology works," he said, adding
that tomorrow's challenge will be to identify which individuals benefit from
retaining or removing ovaries.
To meet the needs of veterinarians who want to better understand the biology of
aging, Dr. Waters developed a Gerontology Training Program for DVMs at Gerald
P. Murphy Cancer Foundation, based on his experience teaching biogerontology to
graduate students for more than a decade at Purdue. As longevity research
advances, veterinarians need to be prepared. "We make the surest progress when
cutting-edge research and cutting-edge education go hand in hand," Dr. Waters
said.

Morgan  Lewis, RPh.
Member GSDCA
President Last Hope of  Georgia 501c3