[ SHOWGSD-L ] Neutered puppies

  • From: Broedster@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:46:59 EST

I had a little row with one of my puppy buyers a few years back.  He had
agreed (in his contract) to neuter his male only after he was more mature
(12mo+)
but had been talked into neutering at 3mo by his vet.  I got a local fellow
GSD enthusiast to help me and together we gathered enough information to visit
him and explain the pros and cons.  There are so many "tales" out there (no pun
intended) that if I were a companion pet buyer, I would be thoroughly
confused.  It was easy to find research on females and the health benefits of
spaying
prior to their first season, but there hasn't really been a lot of research
done on males that I could find.  One thing both sides did agree on was the
probability of the dog growing up to a full inch more in height when neutered
prior to sexual maturity.  Now, I'm no expert and relatively new to the dog
world, but it seems to me that in a breed that has problems with joints - hips,
elbows and the like, an additional inch in height wouldn't be a good thing to
add
to the mix - it would affect his movement as well, wouldn't it?  I did find,
by the way, one study of Rottweilers that showed a higher incidence of cancer
in males who were neutered before they were sexually mature.  Even though
there's no definitive studies in GSD that I could find, I'd rather err on the
side
of caution and see my males look like males and structurally balanced.  If
anyone has any other information, I would definitely be interested!

p.s.  My buyer was convinced and canceled his vet appointment.

Becky Roeder
Roedertor GSD