[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Need help w/puppy run too - any suggestions??

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: gailbauman@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:06:38 EST

In a message dated 11/21/2004 1:11:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gailbauman@xxxxxx writes:
I am  also setting up a run for my puppies (6 weeks old tomorrow) - I am
putting a 4  x 10 kennel run up in the garage, and am putting their whelping
box
on one end  of the run with one end of the box taken off, where they will
hopefully sleep,  but need some ideas on what to put in the other end where
(HOPEFULLY!!) they  will get the idea that that's where they need to potty -
the plan
thus far is  to put a 4 x 6 carpet remnant UNDER a heavy duty plastic tarp
(that will be  the same size as the run) on the end WITHOUT the whelping box,
so
it's padded  and protects from the cold garage floor - the box (4 x 4) will
be on the other  end.   I plan to bring the sides of the tarp up around the
outside  of the kennel run and zip-tie it to both sides and the back so it
doesn't go  anywhere.  The only thing I am in a quandry about is what to use
for the
 potty area opposite the box.  Any suggestions would be appreciated - I
thought about shavings but am afraid the pups will eat them - can't be  a
good thing, or am I mistaken - are shavings OK?   THANKS!!

I put horse mats (heavy rubber) under the run w/ shavings on  top.  I use the
shavings from Tractor Supply because the wood is actually  scraps from a
window company w/ his been kiln dried before becoming shavings  (that
apparently
means less resin, and I've never had a reaction to them).   If they eat the
occasional shaving, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, but I love  them because
they are easy to clean and I can steam and sanitize the  mats  (hate
newspaper!).

Kathy

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_