[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Need advise with a pregnant bitch

  • From: "Castle Kennels" <castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsdlover729@xxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:45:59 -0600

Pam,

According to Pam A Holst, DVM, author of Canine Reproduction: A Breeders
Guide", this is a secondary sign of pregnancy.  She states: "A clear
discharge of mucus will almost always be seen with pregnancy, and it seems
to be quite a reliable sign.  It is first noticed about four to five weeks
after breeding and continues until parturition.  To my knowledge, the source
of the mucus has never been investigated.  It could originate from mucous
glands of the cervix.  If the discharge is odorless and clear, then it is
normal."

My bitch who is 31 days pregnant had a large mucus discharge on her 27th
day.  I also noticed the same thing on my other bitch during her last
pregnancy.

Pat
Castle Kennels
Where Shepherds of Distinction Reign
www.castlekennels.com

I am helping a friend of mine with a pregnant bitch.
She was bred on Dec 7th. Making her 53 days now. She
went to go pee and this long clear string of mucos was
hanging from her vulva.no red, no green, no obvious
contractions, nothing else.
Has anyone ever heard or seen this? Is this a sign of
potential early labor? She is huge and loads of milk