[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Need Some Help Re: Movement

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:41:48 -0600

At 06:49 PM 11/14/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Jim Barnhart posts...
>
>  My point is I don't see the elastic, cat like motion I   described.   Gait
>has changed.  Is today's movement  incorrect?  I am not saying it is.   I
>say I prefer a different kind of gait than what I see in the ring today.
>
>Paul opines...
>
>Ah Jim...I do understand your conundrum...but...I think it's been that way
>for a long time. When we 1st came into the breed...the image of 2 X SEL CH
>Von Freya's Erik CDX took my breath away and also burneded a tin type in my
>mind of what I invision as correct motion.
>
>Such motion also includes something you would call "suspension" that we
>don't see often...period. For those who need a better
>definition...suspension is when the dog "lifts itself up and seems to have
>all 4 feet offa da ground while in motion"...and it does. (I would be happy
>to privately send anyone who wants some pics that display what I refer to)
>
>I would also say I believe such a dog has always been the "exception" rather
>than the rule. Perhaps there was a time when there were more than now or
>then...but they always stood out. It's like the words in the
>Standard..."Unmistakable when present".
>
>Paul

As you say, this suspension is unmistakable when present.   Some years ago I
had a bitch that had suspension & a beautiful gait.

We had several (totally non-doggy) visitors that saw her gaiting in her
"paddock"
over the years.    They all would say "My "gosh" that GSD is floating - look at
her move".    They knew nothing about movement but still recognized how
beautifully moved.

Sandy
Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels