[ SHOWGSD-L ] Need Some Help Re: Movement

  • From: Jim Barnhart <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:03:45 -0800

I am posting these comments to the List because I need information.
I am not  trying to start a debate regarding movement in contemporary
GSD's in the breed ring.  It is what it is.  The best moving animals
relative to their competition have always and will continue to win.
I like to win but I long for something that used to be called good
movement.   I have been showing and breeding German Shepherds since I
was fourteen years old and since I am now fifty-eight, I have been
able to observe German Shepherds move over  a lengthy span of time.
I have seen dogs that move with ease and suspension who seem to
literally "float" at all speeds.  I have observed dogs that to quote
the great Lamar Kuhns:  "move with strength and power and yet appear
to be able to gait over eggs without breaking a single one".  I love
this kind of movement but I am having a hard time trying to find
GSD's with the kind of gait I describe to incorporate into my
breeding program.   I attended this year's National anticipating I
might find such and I was disappointed.    Perhaps a GSD is out there
I don't know about that gaits this way.  I have found a line going
back to suspended movers here in the Pacific NW so I know it is
possible.   I understand that the protocols of this List call for not
criticizing or promoting particular dogs so if any of you know of
GSD's that can gait the way I describe I would appreciate a private
email.

Jim Barnhart
Hidden Forest German Shepherds

See new champion Sharobi's Seeing Is Believing at http://