[ SHOWGSD-L ] Need Opinions

  • From: barbmarkh@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:31:28 -0500

I have a female gsd that starting vomiting late last sunday -we immediately
checked her for bloat but her stomach was very soft - ?we gave her pepto bismal
to coat her stomach - withheld food - gave her metroclopramide - we took her to
the vet on monday - she had no temperature, stomach wasn't tender - she wasn't
listless but wasn't her same active self.? The vet also checked her for worms
or bacteria in the stool and all was well.? The vet gave me metroclopramide 10
mg and Smz-tmp 480 mg.? We changed her food to chicken and rice and we waited -
and she continued to vomit.? We talked with the vet daily and took her back in
yesterday morning.? They ran blood work and other than being slightly
dehydrated all the other levels were normal.?? He took xrays and it appeared
that she had eaten some coins or something that showed very brightly on the
xray - was round - it looked like the equivalent of 71cents - with one of what
ever all the way to the edge of the colon.? They operated
  on her and found rice and 4 undigested pepto bismal tablets in her stomach
and one near the colon.?? The rice and pepto tablets were given to her? 18 hrs
before she was operated on and were basically un-digested.?? He flushed
everything and now has her on IV's with all the medication being done through
the IV.??He gave her 1/2 can of ID late this afternoon and she had held that
down for about 1/2 hr when I spoke with him . . . .? When he operated he said
all organs looked fine except for the stomach which looked inflamed.?? My
question is - does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on - that she
wouldn't be digesting what is in her stomach but instead bringing it back up.
Thanks for your help

Barb