[ SHOWGSD-L ] Need Info -Vestibular Disease in Old Dogs

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Cannellidogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, carolmaureen@xxxxxxxxxxx, talldawg@xxxxxxxxxxx, vistatck@xxxxxxxxxxx, Melanie_Elder2000@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, phartney@xxxxxxxxxxx, tophatweims@xxxxxxxxxxx, JudieHoward@xxxxxxxxxxx, jj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, JCannelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linnloch@xxxxxxxxxxx, dezmurray@xxxxxxxxxxx, donjoan@xxxxxxxxxxx, MikePedigo@xxxxxxx, LSP4repo@xxxxxxx, franniesfolly@xxxxxxxxxxx, Scarffes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gussierose@xxxxxxxxxxx, artsinclair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, suboja@xxxxxxx, theresaroyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:17:32 EDT

Jasmin, my 12 3/4 yr old gal, woke me up this morning about 4am...panting so
hard the bed was shaking. I thought she was just hot, but then realized she
was struggling to try and get up and couldn't. I got her off the bed and tried
walking her with a sling, but she was really tilting to one side and her eyes
had rapid pulsating movement.  She also has DM but has been ambulatory until
this.  She was really struggling to try to walk.  I called my vet when they
opened and my neighbor helped get her in the van and we took her in.

To make a long story short, my vet (who is wonderful) thinks it is either
vestibular disease or she had a stroke.  After thinking I was going to have to
put her down, the vet wants to try a few days of anti-hestimines and other
drugs. If it is vestibular disease, she should see some minor improvement in a
few
days. If there is no improvement, it is probably a stroke.  The drugs will
make her sleepy so she won't be struggling to get up.  She is content when I
laid
her down on her bed which was on the ground and not up on  my bed.

I know I can google info on this, but would like to hear from any of you  if
you have had vestibular disease in an older dog; what the symptoms were; what
drugs were used and what the outcome was.

Jasmin is very dear to me, was my major "mom" dog when she was young and I am
hoping she responds to treatment, but know she may not.

TIA

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.