[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Need Help

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: jmor@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:40:04 EST

Joan,
It sounds like strangles - I had a puppy develop it once.  The vet
lanced and drained it, then he prescribed Cephalexin and I was
instructed to clean it regulary and keep it open for several days
to allow any remaining infection to drain out.  Like your girl, this
seemed to happen almost instantaneously.  The puppy was fine
in the morning, but when I picked him up in the early  afternoon, I
noticed his head was huge on one side.   If you have your vet's
phone number, you might want to call to ask if he thinks it would
be ok to wait or if you should have it treated immediately.  I would
worry about her throat closing off if the swelling wasn't
relieved.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Janice Buchanan

In a message dated 2/19/2005 11:54:55 PM Mountain Standard Time,
jmor@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Let one of my girls out to potty about an hour ago, and noticed that one
side of her face/eye was swollen.  Gave her 75mg Benadryl and put her
back in her crate.  Checked on her in one hour, and now both sides of
face are swollen.
She is rubbing her face some.  I have checked throat, teeth, and see no
signs of trauma.  She is drinking water, and still has an appetite.
Wanted her bedtime cookie when everyone else got theirs!!
Any ideas/suggestions, or do you think I need to make a trip to the
emergency clinic??  Thanks.

Joan Morehead
Shreveport, LA