[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nature or nurture and the "Dog Whisperer" says.....

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:09:27 -0400

Ok, I am not Cesar bashing here, but I think his show is misleading.? I have
seen Cesar in action a couple times now.? I will say this, he is NOT a dog
trainer.? He is a behavioralist.? I wish they showed the tape of him trying to
do agility with one of his dogs, LOL!??
Anyway,?if you really, really watch the show, you will see an inkling of?other
controls he uses.? Watch his feet and watch the dog's reaction when he does his
"single" touch.? What you don't see is what he did before those minimal
movements worked.? He is not all about positive Karma.? He does scruff shakes,
alpha rolls and I even saw him kick a dog once.? Ok, that dog was in full
attack mode but still.....? These techniques?can work in rehabbing a dog
aggressive dog or one that totally controls the owners.? However, an abused
rescue dog or mentally unstable dog will NOT respond to the physicality he uses.

Cesar does have some very valid, common sense advice for JQP.? I think that
makes his show?valuable.? However,?I know for a fact, that he has had several
dogs PTS, that could not be rehabbed thru his methods.??But, were they PTS
because they didn't respond to HIS training or because they were BAD dogs?? I
don't?believe that using Cesar as a barometer?to determine the viability of
rehabbing a dog is?wise.? Each dog and each situation is different.? When
common sense and experienced trainers don't work, the dog may have other
genetic factors in play.? These dogs cannot be rehabbed and should be?PTS.? I
have done it recommended it and it was heartbreaking.? But, I won't have a
loose cannon out there with a family.? No, not every dog can be trained!????

I have only see Dogtown a couple times.? They do great work there.? I may be
wrong, but isn't it also a sancuary?? If they can't rehab a dog, the dog will
live out the rest of their natural life there??

Laura