[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nature or nurture and the "Dog Whisperer" says.....

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:33:46 -0500

Okay, I am going to be rather controversial here and am prepared for some
nastey e-mails.

I am one of those breeders that does not typically rehab a dog.. Dalmatians,
like GSDs do get a bad rap for their temperaments. Unfortunately, in dals, lots
of it is genetics... Yes, most dals, this day in age do have good temperaments,
but good isn't very deep in our pedigrees so we always have to be careful.
Example: I did a breeding some years ago - a bitch with a perfect temperament
out of two dogs with good temperaments. In her first two litters, the offspring
had perfect temperaments. I bred her a third time to a dog who was a bit soft,
but we had blamed it on the owner. We super socialized the litter and placed
them carefully. At 4 months, I received the first phone call, poopoo'd it and
too the pup back.. This pup was NOT normal when I got her back and the day she
went after me, we put her down.. Four more of her littermates came back and
also got PTS.... Two of those homes got replacements that they raised
PERFECTLY.. Obviously there was a problem in the combination (and it turns out
the sire's dam was a fruitcake even though everyone had said she was fine).

To me, this day in age, society is too small for dogs, the size of dals and
GSDs to not have perfect temperaments. I have taken back and put down multiple
dogs who have bitten - not through any fault of their own, but put in the wrong
situations. HOWEVER, once a dog has bitten, I can never trust him again and I
am just not willing to take a chance with children, other dogs and any people
in general. I also don't like lawsuits and if I knowingly place a risky dog, I
am placing a loaded shotgun and can be sued.

I do watch Cesar and I don't believe in rehabbing many of those dogs he has
claimed to rehab. I have also heard from several people that there are also
some other disciplines that he does use that never show up on tv.

Once I stop trusting a dog, I can never go back...

I am extremely fussy about temperaments - as much as I love dogs, there is just
way too much at stake and I would be devastated if one of my dogs did something
to a small child... That is my worst nightmare...
Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC,
TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008