[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nationals

  • From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:44:18 -0700 (PDT)

Pam,
    I have seen a National done like this in Bull Terriers,  It is actually
called the Silverwood, not the National but it is much more important to BT
owners then winning the "National Specialty show"  It is NOT an AKC event and
does not follow AKC procedures.  No points are earned.  The dogs must qualify
or be invited and there are only four classes;  White Males, Colored Males,
White bitches and Colored Bitches. Teh overall woinner is the Silverwood winner
and then there is a second trophy for the best of the other variety. It is a
very interesting format and I think produces a more consistent result It also
allows the club to dictate their own requirements.  More than once a
non-champion has won.  I don;t remember what teh qualifications are but I know
that at least one is winning a specialty (at the time I was involved there were
about 15 specialty clubs)
  The Briard Club of America also has what they call a Rassamblement every five
years in conjunction with there National where teh dogs are evaluted and ranked
by a European judge,  It is like a breed survey in that measurements are taken
but then the ranking is subjective.  It takes several days and may have three
times the entry or more than the dog show part of the National.  Gaining a
Select rating at the Rass. is a very big deal in many Briard circles.
  It is interesting to see how other clubs do things!
  Susan

Msg: #2 in digest
From: "Pam Swan"

Subject: Nationals
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:38:35 -0700

When I go to the Morgan National or World Championship in Morgan Horses, I see
that they have three judges judging this event. Each judge has a rating card
and they must rate the horse from 1 to 10 .If one judge is in disagreement with
the other two, the one must beable to explain for the higher or lower score. I
think that is a very good and fair way of judging such an important event. I
would like a good discussion here.
Pam Swanson

Susan w. Sullivan
Firethorn Farm