[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: National/Don"t Panic

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:24:49 -0700 (PDT)

sorry Terry should we go back to Oregon????...a state where you happen to
live?...Ed
Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:The problem Scott is you will
never get the thousands of people to agree on what CORRECT
LOCATION is.

That is the simple truth.

St Louis is central but it is not a hub airport anymore so few direct flights.

It is over a 1300 mile drive from the west coast so it is beyond the 1000 mile
suggest limit.

You park the national in the same location year after year and how many new
people are you going to be introducing to the breed?

There is a certain amount of comfort knowing where you are going year after
year so that would be a plus. If there is nothing new to see or do then all you
have to do is decide if you want to show under that years judges or stay home.
It does make it more simple to decide weather to go or to save your money for
something else.

There is no location in the USA that is going to make it cheaper for the folks
to go and compete. If you don't have 5000.00 to 10,000.00 dollars to blow then
you should probably not show. Many go to watch.

Keeping this in mind my guess is that there is more profit made for the show in
selling tickets for seating and the dinner than from the entries. This is just
a guess but I doubt that I am very far off. So you put it in the "CORRECT
LOCATION" for 5 years and how many spectators do you think you are going to
have on year 5?

To get to this years national it is going to cost me well over 1500.00 in
traveling expenses. That is not counting entry fees handling fees housing or
anything else. This is getting me to the herding trial and then on to the show.

The way I feel about the national these days is that it is going to become a
display of Regional dogs. You keep it in one location and that region's dog
will be the ones shown year after year. Do you think that is going to be good
for the breed? Do you think that is fair? Do you think that is a National show
or a Regional show?

The best example is how many east coasters made it to the Oregon show?? Not
many That show was for the most part a show of west coast dogs. It has always
been the feelings of the club that the west coaster are more willing to travel
than the east coasters. That was true when there were more flights and
traveling with your dog was not so stressful. Will he, or won't he , be allowed
on the plane as extra baggage. It has always been at the discretion of the
airlines but these days of fewer flights and smaller planes the rule is if you
have to switch planes you will not be flying with your dog. You may be able to
ship him for 3 times the expense but he will not be going as extra baggage. I
shipped a dog from NC to Oregon one way the charge was 706.00. If I decide to
ship the dog ahead of me you can add another 1400 to the expenses and I haven't
even gotten to com formation yet.

I really don't think there is an answer to the question. The people who can
afford to dump 5000.00 to 10,000.00 on a competitive dog will do it. Those who
can't will stay home. This is no longer a dog show it has more to do with the
net worth of the owner.

As the owners and handlers age this will change. Tincture of Time will address
the problem.

So Scott where is CORRECT LOCATION ?

Terry
Trahanone@xxxxxxx wrote:

For the first time in a very long time I sense the GSDCA and it's members
are really ready to address the issues facing the breed and competitive events
we enjoy. You go to shows and it looks like church with all the petitions
being proposed (passing around collection plate). I believe this could be a
very good thing because it gets people involved and excited which makes them
feel part of the process.

Now the board needs to take advantage of the fact that the "membership
cares" and use there or some of the ideas generated from all this interest. New
ideas are good and bringing in fresh minds and un-scared people is good. It
is not to say that the present board has not worked hard because god knows
they have. Has anyone had a kid that they put on a wedding for? A wedding for
150 people takes lots of work!!! Can you imagine putting on a National with
hundreds of exhibitors and several thousand visitors?

That being said improvement can be made and the ideas being circulated is
good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As my post stated a few days ago the criteria needs to be
the animals and the exhibitors of these animals first. Location, location,
location, just like real-estate is key. Must be able to reasonably get there
by the majority of animals that will be shown. Must have facilities to
accommodate animals and handlers and the fancy. Must be in an area that can
support the visitors.....hotels, restaurants, airport, etc. THAT'S IT IN A
NUTSHELL!!! And personally if we can find a excellent facility in this "CORRECT
LOCATION" I would have it there five years straight. Exhibitors like going to
familiar places because they know where everything is that will give them an
edge. IF EXHIBITORS COME THE FANCY WILL COME JUST LIKE A NIGHTCLUB!!! NO
LADIES NO MEN!!!!! LOL LOL

Ok iam done.....hard work I agree but very, very obtainable.

Oh, 1 more thing....... I would have the National In doors. To much work to
have nature spoil the party.

Scott Trahan
White Oak

Home of: GVX Godiva and BISS/BIS Sammy

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Terry Cochran
www.FairwayShepherds.com
www.Rightdog.com RightDog Photography
http://mail.yahoo.com

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original