[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: National/Don"t Panic

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:43:33 -0400

The answer to that is "Plenty."  As an example...look at the Poodle Club
of America (and the Standards fly around in 500 crates, too...unless
they are all driving)...for the past dozen or so years it has been in
the same place (Maryland) and everyone who wants to know about Poodles
knows to go to PCA--it's the same week, in the same place--no problem.
The crowd is always huge--judges, wanna be judges, and just plain dog
people go to watch.  Last year PCA moved from the Equestrian Center to a
facility in Salisbury, Maryland-- no major airport there, either, you
have to fly to either National (Reagan), Dulles, or Baltimore, and rent
a vehicle and drive (well, you had to do it for the Equestrian Center,
too)...but they don't have any problem doing that.  Maryland, of course,
is on the east coast............hotels are nearby but not on top of the
site...they sod their arena, and while they don't need quite as large a
ring as we do, they need a big one for the Standards, for sure.
    Maybe somebody needs to talk to the Poodle folks to find out how
they manage to put on a very large show in the same place every year
with no problems--at least without the discontent expressed on this list
ever since I first joined it........
Peggy
Terry Cochran wrote:

You park the national in the same location year after year and how many new
people are you going to be introducing to the breed?

There is a certain amount of comfort knowing where you are going year after
year so that would be a plus. If there is nothing new to see or do then all you
have to do is decide if you want to show under that years judges or stay home.
It does make it more simple to decide weather to go or to save your money for
something else.

There is no location in the USA that is going to make it cheaper for the folks
to go and compete. If you don't have 5000.00 to 10,000.00 dollars to blow then
you should probably not show. Many go to watch.

Keeping this in mind my guess is that there is more profit made for the show in
selling tickets for seating and the dinner than from the entries. This is just
a guess but I doubt that I am very far off. So you put it in the  "CORRECT
LOCATION" for 5 years and how many spectators do you think you are going to
have on year 5?

To get to this years national it is going to cost me well over 1500.00 in
traveling expenses. That is not counting entry fees handling fees housing or
anything else. This is getting me to the herding trial and then on to the show.

The way I feel about the national these days is that it is going to become a
display of Regional dogs. You keep it in one location and that region's dog
will be the ones shown year after year. Do you think that is going to be good
for the breed? Do you think that is fair? Do you think that is a National show
or a Regional show?