[ SHOWGSD-L ] National on the east coast--

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:14:15 -0700

I don't want to argue, but which one of those states is the West  Coast?
The closest I can come is Utah, which is about a 10 hour drive from  my home
in California.  I guess that is more West than Ohio.

Evan L.  Ginsburg

Years ago we had some friends from Russia, doing exchange teaching at the
University here. Delightful people. Some of their relatives were coming to
visit and wanted to see the USA, and had set up an itinerary. They asked if
we could accompany them and sort of be the tour guide.

Itinerary:
Monday -
Visit Reno, Lake Tahoe, Pyramid Lake, Yosemite, San Francisco and Las Vegas
Tuesday -
See Las Vegas, The Great Salt Lake, Zion National Park and Bryce National
Park
Wednesday -
Hit Grand Canyon, go to San Diego Zoo, drive up the coast and stay in
Hollywood
Thursday -
Go to Disneyland, Universal City, and a few more amusement parks, then back
to Reno

The illusion of west coast distance is very interesting. I decided not to be
their tour guide. Historically, west was anything in a westerly direction
from Plymouth Rock, so the mid-west was anything Between Boston and Ohio.
Everything else was "out west." When I point out that the geographical
center of the nation is somewhere near Salina, Kansas - people think I am
crazy. That means, Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas and Omaha are
on the East side of the center....

Illusive? Yes, if you are raised on the Eastern side of the continent. But
then, illusions are hard to change. But I do know of an opening for a tour
guide for some lovely Russian people. Anyone east of Salina interested?
Dave