[ SHOWGSD-L ] National counts various breeds

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:50:28 EDT

I'd like to see some numbers on how many of the Vizlas, Wheatons, and PWDs
are owner handled?  All three of these breeds can easily be shown by
owners, including those over 50 because the handler doesn't have to run at
breakneck speed.  A fast walk or a slow "trot" is all the handler needs to  be
able to do.  Vizlas are pretty easy in terms of coat care.   Wheatons and PWDs
take a bit more grooming skill, but easily handled by an owner  of almost
any age with some training and practice.  Look at how many Gs  owners are
getting second breeds which they can handle themselves not only to  save
handler fees and expenses, which is the bulk of the expense in showing dogs
with
handlers, but because it is fun to take your own dog in the ring.   That's
what most of us started out doing and for many, is where the fun  is!

This is not meant to be anti-handler.  Was one about 100 years ago,  have
used handlers in the last few years and will in the future.  It is  just a
fact that using a handler is expensive by the time you figure their  handling
fee on top of a share of their expenses.  Yes, I know the argument  that the
overall cost to finish a dog can be cheaper with a handler than owner
handled because they can possibly finish the dog in less shows.  That is  not
the case in every breed.  I have a friend who has bred and owner  handled 95+
Kerry Blue Terriers and no, she isn't a "owner, breeder, handler"  that
really is a professional showing others as well as her own.  She only  shows
her
own dogs.  I also had a friend who had similar numbers in Min  Pins.

Betty Johnson
Tintagel

blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Greg,
I was just looking  at the Soft Coated Wheaten entry for their national and

we have more  Wheatens (244 total entries) than Shepherds. Our nationals is

always  held at Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. (On the Hatboro, Devon,
Morris  and Essex weekend)
This year, the Portuguese Water Dog  National is in San  Luis Obispo, CA on
October 2-8, The total entry is  271
271 PORT WATERDOG  54-87- 41-30
40 FUTURITY
78 SWEEPSTAKES
37 VETERANS SWEEPSTAKES
14 VETERAN DOGS
29 VETERAN BITCHES
8 WORKING TITLED DOGS
8  WORKING TITLED BITCHES
14 STUD DOG
16 BROOD BITCH
5 BRACE
You have said yourself the Vizsla  National has more dogs there than we
have shepherds.
So the real  question, why is a popular breed such as  shepherds, being
hammered in  entries while the "not so popular breeds" like  wheatens,
waterdogs
and  vizlas numbers are strong for their nationals... and  sadly, does
anyone
really care???

Mike Lynch
BlackHawk Farms, LLC