[ SHOWGSD-L ] National Sites and BSL - long

  • From: CODAGSD@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:06:26 EDT

First of all, I'm probably in the vast minority in thinking that the choice
of National site should be what's best for the dogs and the membership, not
necessarily a political statement of some kind.
BUT.....if the dog show world really wanted to make a political statement,
I'd start with the proactive suggestions already made on the List about
increasing positive publicity, etc. but, as usual, I would go much further. If
you are
going to make a political statement, make it loud and clear - really stick it
to them, get the dogs in their faces and don't let up. Okay, so this is
pie-in-the-sky, but here's what I would do:

1. EVERY breed that is banned or threatened with banning should hold their
"national" - or large show - in cities with the MOST stringent BSL laws. If
possible, target just several cities and hold as many shows as possible there
in
one year. If there is some law disallowing a breed's show there, hold it as
near to the city as possible - a suburb, perhaps.

2. Mount HUGE publicity campaigns with local media before and during the
shows.

3. ENFORCE correct doggie etiquette (pick up poop, etc.) among the exhibitors
- on pain of dismemeberment (pun intended!).

4. Extend personal invitations to all local reporters and politicians. (The
pols probably won't come - that's not so important. The idea is to get to the
PUBLIC. Then the politicians will have to expain their actions, or lack thereof
- get them on the defensive: "Hey, Joe, I took a chance and went and it was
great. Why weren't you there and what's so wrong with these dogs, anyway?...)

5. Hold Rally, Temperament, CGC, and TDI tests at each show.

6. Each breed put on herding, earth dog, retrieving, etc. tests to showcase
the breed's accomplishments.

7. Target CHILDREN and TEENS: educational demos, frisbee, games, contests,
etc. - get the kids in by whatever means. If the reporters and politicians have
children, extend a public invitiation. (Again, I know most won't come, but the
point is publicity and pressure - they will have to explain to the kids and
the public why not.....)

Of course, this is in a perfect world where all exhibitors are friendly,
outgoing, welcoming people who have lots of time during a show to hang around a
bunch of strangers and educated them about their dogs and, of course, all the
dogs are of exemplary character...I know... dream on. None of us have the time,
money, or energy for this at a dog show - especially a National....AND THAT'S
NOT REALLY WHAT A NATIONAL IS FOR. So.....I am back to my original statement:
PICK THE NATIONAL SITES THAT BEST SHOWCASE THE DOGS AND ARE THE MOST
EXHIBITOR-FRIENDLY and fight BSL by other means.

Sharon
CODA GERMAN SHEPHERDS