[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 'National' Road Warriors...... <G>

  • From: "Joan Fox" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, SHOW LIST <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:00:32 +0000 (UTC)

Carolyn,The Review is going to have a questionnaire shortly for people to share
their assessment of the National show site. Pro and con.
I bet you can add a few comments. LolJoan Joan F. Fox17500 Haskins Rd.Chagrin
Falls, Ohio 44023tel: 440-759-4119http://www.campaignersgsds.com

     On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:58 AM, Carolyn Martello
<marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Interesting driving to the National this year.  Three LONG days going,
and two and a half days coming back to Northern California.
The difference in speed limits was a bonus.  In California the highest
speed limit is 70 mph, and pretty limited.
We hit long STRAIGHT stretches of speed limits from 75 mph. to 80 mph in
the other States..with no towns or overpasses for hundreds of miles.
AWESOME!  But the biggest difference maker was the speed for trucks!
In California it is 55 mph for the big rigs even on the long Interstates.
In Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado and Kansas and Missouri, the
speed limit was often  80 mph....with the same for the trucks!!  Makes a
HUGE difference.  Once...going at 82 mph we got passed by an empty big
rig that HAD to be going 92 mph.  He waved and honked as he flew by!  <G>
In California, driving on the interstates ( especially I-5 ) you get
bogged down with hundreds of big trucks in the slow lane...and vehicles
that stretch out forever, impatiently bogging down in the fast / passing
lane as they try to get past miles and miles of slow moving trucks.
Not the case in these other 'enlightened' States.
Going...we drove Interstate 80 until we hit Kansas then down to Kansas
City and then Interstate 70 across Missouri to St. Louis.
( did you count that.....EIGHT States.  Eight BIG States!! )
Problem was...the great speed limits didn't help because we hit HUNDREDS
of miles of "CONES".  Miles and miles of "construction" zones with big
cones stretching into infinity...and 50 miles per hour.  NO PROBLEM if
there is really work going on.....but we never once saw any actual
construction except a little in Kansas
Returning..we were advised to go Interstate 70 from Kansas City to Denver
and it made a big DIFFERENCE on time.........AND SCENERY!  <G>
Returning...in one construction zone in Nevada where there actually were
two workers!  One was cleaning off his equipment road side with a high
power washer that knocked something off his equipment as we passed by,
that hit one of the big van windows in the back and pretty much exploded
the window!  AH well........
After an hour in the next town after Frank and I covered the broken window
(or HOLE... where the window WAS) with thick clear vinyl and sweeping up
broken glass from the parking lot, while the driver and owner of the van
talked to the Highway Patrol.....we were once again on our way home.

Will we make that drive again?  I don't know.  Can't say....but I don't
think so.
But I will say this....The Unemployment Index could be raised GREATLY
if those States would just hire people to pick up miles and miles of
cones once a year!!
Then of course pay them next year to put them out again..sometime in early
OCTOBER OF COURSE as Exhibitors out West head to the National again.  <G>

Pulled into our driveway at about 3 p.m. Tuesday.  Just in time to unload
my stuff from 11 days...wave goodbye to the  "National road warriors",
the dogs, the big van, and my husband, and jump into my sister in law's
little car for another five hours of driving that day (no wonder I'm OLD!)
to head for the North Coast of California to spend four days with 6 women
in our family for biking and hiking along the bluffs and beaches and to
sit on the beaches in the evening, eating and talking and laughing while
watching the waves crash and the sun go down to show millions of stars.

Seemed to heal all wounds........<G>

Carolyn  ( the OLD road warrior )
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the original author
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and
its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed
in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html