[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: National Hotel & BEDBUGS

  • From: Jen proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 03:04:48 -0500

I remember as a child growing up in Chicago, the saying, "sleep tight, don't
let the bedbugs bite!" and always thinking I was being teased as there's no
such thing as a bed bug.... Oh how privileged I was!
Fast forward 30 years... Living in Florida and decided I wanted a little part
time job to keep me busy- and as my mom was manager at a hotel (a fairly nice
one with suites and even kitchenettes in some), I went to work there 2 days a
week.... Much to the joy of my mother, the owner decided to remodel rooms.
Out with the old, and in with the new... Somehow one of the brand new
mattresses or furniture carried bedbugs into a room!  People started
complaining about being bitten; one person somehow caught one (under a glass)
and I saw that, yes, bedbugs are REAL!  Eeeek!  Let me tell you, once a room is
bedbug infested, they're next to impossible to get rid of!  They crawl into the
walls through the trim and the outlets and move room to room...  To get rid of
them we had to get rid of all the new furniture, beds, rip out the carpet (mind
you, all of this stuff is only a couple months old at this point- for 20 rooms
too!), and tear off the baseboards and drill out the wall bottoms (for
exterminator to spray) and also pull the toilets and rip caulk away from the
tubs (again for real extermination).  In the end, and twice in months remodeled
rooms, a lovely 13" Beagle (from the Miami area) pronounced the hotel "clean of
bedbugs". !!!
Many hotels will just spray the individual rooms affected and hope for the
best- unfortunately, a bedbug can live for 6 months from ONE FEEDING (Aka they
bite you and crawl in the wall for the next few months to breed and hibernate)-
so a room left empty for a couple months (another bedbug tactic hotels use)
doesn't work so well if the exterminator wasn't competent (like the first one
the hotel owner used) as they do travel room to room thru the walls- even
concrete block ones as they follow the electric wiring.
Hmmm makes me glad I live way up in Wisconsin now where bedbugs don't do so
well!  (Too dry & cold) I heard they had made their way into Chicago hotels a
couple years ago when I came back north.   No surprise to me hearing they're in
St Louis being all warm & humid there all summer long, and mild winters.
Hmmm fuel dropped to $4.09/gallon (premium) today and I get 8 miles a gallon
pulling the 5th wheel camper... Only 470 miles each way... $500 for fuel,
camping, entries...  Gee, no wonder I took my car and stayed in a hotel for my
last trip down!
I gathered from the Beagle's owner you train using actual bedbugs in a jar.
Sounds like a good thing to train to find, but where would one keep the jar/s
of bedbugs at?!? I would be too terrified to keep them in my home for fear of...
Jen P & her Pack who doesn't want to see even an ant in our house!

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://showgsd.org/mail.html