[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nails..help please

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx, blackoaks01@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:11:46 -0500 (EST)

I had a bitch here once that was a nightmare...(not one I bred/had as a
baby)....and I hate ace...so I put the grooming table in the corner and used a
 prong collar and a nylon muzzle.  This way, she corrected herself and
couldn't bite.  I'm right handed,  so her left side and rear were to  the wall
corner.  She couldn't go anywhere and I just clipped away, no fuss  no muss.
 I'm not one to argue.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 11/29/2012 6:45:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Three  things might help. 1) Make sure your clipper blade is really sharp;
2) A safe  tranquilizer might help -- I use acepromazine; 3) With my
3-year-old bitch  just like yours, I found cutting her nails on the bed of my
station wagon  helped a LOT. I sit on the floor with my legs dangling outside
the
car, and I  have her on lead beside me. She doesn't seem to mind it as
much. A vet tech  lay on her to do this, and she went BALLISTIC, and I can't
say
I blame her. I  think your helper is exacerbating your problem. Take your
time. Have delicious  goodies when you clip her nails, and give her one after
each nail. Tell her  how great she is. Cut a very small portion of the
nail. Have styptic powder  handy. I'd keep the helper away.
I have osteo-arthritis, so I get it about  hand strength. My girl objects
more when the blade is dull, requiring more  pressure.

The thing that helped the most was doing it in the back of  the station
wagon with the door open.

Hope this helps.
Fran  Henry
Denver
Home of:
Konigin's My Abilene TC, CGC, Delta Therapy  Dog

On Nov 29, 2012, at 4:21 PM, Marcia Hadley wrote:

> I  know one of you will know the secret to doing nails on a difficult
dog.
> I have Rheumatoid arthritis, and not the best hand strength. I  have
> a three year old bitch who has always been difficult when having  her
> nails clipped. I do have a helper, but his method is to lay on the  dog,
and
> have me clip. She of course fights this. She has never  offered to bite,
just
> really fights even touching her feet. Barring  having her put under
anesthesia,(joking)
> is there a trick to getting  this unpleasant job done? I would love to be
able to
> grind her nails.  She has beautiful feet, but needs them clipped, and
ground regularly.
>  Please, no flaming,She has fought it since she was tiny.
> I really need  your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
> Marcia
>

>  Black Oak German Shepherds
> blackoaks01@xxxxxxx

===========================================================================>
POST is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the
of  any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author
AND of  the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

> Each Author  is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and its  administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in  any post.

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING,  REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L  WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST  MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF  THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

> For assistance, please  contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org
> NATIONAL BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

Fran  Henry
Member:
PPGSDC
GSDCA
NAIA
CaRPOC.org

POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.