[ SHOWGSD-L ] NYC and GSDs

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 22:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

   About ten days ago I was in the great city of New York...I was there for a
two day conference and seminar for teachers in the Tri- State area, New York,
New Jersey, and Connecticut but there were teachers there from
everywhere....being a spanking brand new teacher I was so thrilled and excited
to attend the various seminars listening to experts in the field...on Friday
Tom Brokaw spoke, on Saturday Richard Dryfess spoke...I meet a teacher who had
taught in New Jersey for 29 years , and she stated that she was burned out from
all the hassles and problems of teaching...she told me that this seminar helped
her re-focus and remember the reason she got involved with this extremely
important and often under appreciated and under paid profession...she was
almost as jazzed about the conference as I was...whats this have to do with
dogs?.....plenty...we talk about getting new folks into the breed and the
sport...I say we need to also do things to revitalize us old-timers...and I a
 m new in
 conformation but I have had GSDs for over 40 years.....I have preached many
times about having a two or three day seminar with exhibitors paying a fee to
setup their wares...with important issues being discussed such as breeding ,
health, diseases, AI's, grooming, feeding, herding, Rally, Peta Problems...the
issues and topics are almost endless...we need to try something like this...we
are a big organization that is getting smaller...we can meet where no points
will be given out, no back-biting, no petty jealousies...invitations to dog
lovers everywhere...there are many things we can do...Bart Bartly once told me
about a bunch of crabs that were captured by a fisherman that were piled at the
bottom of a box...the crabs were very capable of climbing out of the box to
freedom, but every time one of the crabs would try to climb out, the other
crabs would pull him back in...there was no need to put a lid on the box
because none of the crabs would allow any of the others to climb
  out of
 the box...think about it.....bedtime....goodnight Johnny...FB