[ SHOWGSD-L ] NY Forfeiture Bond Proposal (S3806)

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 07:43:10 -0700

**Please Cross Post Appropriately**

NY's "guilty until proven innocent" proposal is on next week's Senate
Finance Committee agenda. Because the proposal's companion bill
already passed in the NY Assembly, we are looking at a do-or-die
situation.

NY S3806 Ball (R-Brewster) expands on a highly questionable existing
state law allowing
pre-trial, pre-sentence, permanent forfeiture of valuable
animalsâ??personal
propertyâ??if defendants are unable to promptly post high cost
security bonds to
pre-pay the estimated maintenance cost of holding impounded animals
pending
resolution of charges. Once forfeited to the private impounding
organization, pet animals may be killed or sold off at the
organization's sole discretion.

Many summaries of bill incorrectly refer to S3806 as a proposal to
"reimburse" humane societies and spca's for costs incurred. THIS IS
NOT ACCURATE. Private impounding organizations ask for PREPAYMENT of
their estimated costs.

< http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=S03806&term
11&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Text=Y

In reality, defendants in NY are frequently required to post hefty
security
bonds (tens of thousands of dollars per month in some cases) or face
forfeiture of their animals at arraignment or soon thereafter --
BEFORE they are able to do a single thing in their
own defense. The defendant's right to due process does not exist these
cases -- they are penalized (either through loss of their animals or
financially) long before a judge and jury considers the charges.

Talking points/concerns

S3806 exacerbates and streamlines the above existing serious defect in
state law by. . .

. . .UNFUNDED MANDATE S3806 [illegally] provides that public servants
on the public payroll (district
attorneys) appear in court on behalf of private corporations (spca's
acting as
impounding organizations) during forfeiture hearings. This provision
is a misuse of public monies and an UNFUNDED MANDATE.

Because the bill will be considered by the Senate Finance Committee,
please be sure to mention concerns regarding the misuse of public
monies for an UNFUNDED MANDATE.

. . .Forfeiture hearings are
civil matters, and under existing law district attorneys may NOT act
in civil matters in NY. It would be illegal for them to do so.

. . .S3806 [illegally] amends the timing of forfeiture hearings,
giving the prosecution and private impounding organizations more
flexibility in the timing of their petitions for prepayment of costs.
Because existing
state law violates the defendant's right to due process, amendments
regarding
the timing of petitions for forfeiture are also illegal. An illegal
law cannot
legally be amended.

DFNY has consistently and vigorously opposed this bill, both this year
and in
prior sessions. We believe that all responsible owners of animals
share a
concern for the well being of pets and livestock. Under the law, we are
explicitly required to provide for their welfare and should be held
accountable
if we fail. However, our concerns cannot drive us to surrender the
protection of
our civil rights. We are innocent until proven guilty -- there is no
concept more cherished in our legal tradition.

Please contact the Chair and Vice-Chair of the NYS Senate Committee on
Finance by Monday afternoon at the latest and
ask them to hold S3806 in committee. Please also contact your own
state Senator and express your concerns.

Contact info:

Finance Committee
Chairman: Senator John DeFrancisco
Phone: (518) 455-3511
email: jdefranc@ nysenate.gov
fax: (518) 426-6952

Vice Chair: Senator Owen Johnson
Phone: (518) 455-3411
email: ojohnson@ senate.state.ny.us
fax: (518) 426-6973

To find contact information for your own state senator:
http://www.nysenate.gov/senators

This is urgent -- the committee meets on Tuesday, June 7. Phone calls
and emails must be made on Monday the 6th at the latest.

As always, many thanks for everyone's help! Let's work together to
prevent yet another illegal, over-reaching, punitive bill from passing
into law in New York!