[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NOT Size again?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:58:41 EDT

Here's the point I was trying to make.  Size DOES matter when it comes  to
agility, athleticism, endurance and all the rest.  The dogs you  speak of may
very well be athletic and agile FOR THEIR SIZE.

That doesn't mean we want to go in that direction, though, does it?

Think horses. I remember years ago when the heavy European warm bloods
became popular on the 3 day event circuit.  Their popularity was short  lived
and
now you see a lot in dressage (only).  Yes, they were powerful,  but they sure
weren't quick and they were very (VERY) hard to keep  sound.  Lousy stamina,
you were practically holding them up on the  course.

You want a cutting horse?  Get a quarter horse.  Small.   Agile. Short
Coupled.  Just try to make the argument that bigger is "just"  as good
there...you'd
be laughed out of the arena.

Now, if you need further poof, look at gymnasts.  Have you ever seen a  6'6"
250 lb gymnast?  Didn't think so.

When you increase size, incrementally, you loose agility.  When we  point to
specific dogs, certainly, some individuals can and will overcome  this. (There
is an immeasurable factor called "heart".  I watched  a GSD locked behind as
bad as I've ever seen on a started course  recently.  Could he do it?  Yes.
Was it pretty?  No, in  fact it was rather painful to watch. Next we'll hear
that owner saying "locked"  doesn't matter...)

Back to size...so you "like" big. Does that mean you justify breeding
outside of the standard?  I'm talking TRENDS.  If the trend is bigger  you
loose
agility ...I honestly can't believe there's even an argument to  be made for
the
other side.

Does that mean we forget the other issues facing our breed?  No,  certainly
not. In fact, if you like big, go for it.  Me?  I have  a hard enough time
keeping dogs within the standard, each generation would  be larger if I wasn't
holding back the more moderately sized youngsters, but my  best overall dogs
were
within, not exceeding the standard.  I want  endurance and agility and
working ability and physical soundness.  I like  doing "stuff" with them when
they're done and I have a much better chance of  getting what I want if I don't
try
to justify pushing the "size envelope".

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 3/13/2008 1:02:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Unless  that has always been your experience with a big dog....I think that
is an  unfair
blanket statement regarding size.

On 13/03/2008, Carolyn  <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   EH????
>   >>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are  right Carolyn.  I have to laugh at the whole idea of a large dog
being  somehow less agile for a variety of work....(police car  window
notwithstanding)   I am watching our Caucasion Ovtcharka,  "Sezja"  as she
drag races a car up our fenceline.  She like many  in her breed,  has
sighthound speed (she's been clocked at 30 mph) can  stop, spin, dodge and
turn on a dime, and can jump like a Thompson's  Gazelle.  She also has spine
crushing power.  At 30" and 125 lbs,  she is certainly bigger than most of
our "oversize " GSDs...but I guarantee  you you wont find a more athletic
dog.

I also owned years ago , a  1/2 German male, love of my life, call name
"Bear".   He was a  legit 30"  , 127 really LEAN pounds, and could herd, leap
over a 5  foot fence to retrieve a ball or frisbee, hit a sleeve and was a
consumate  personal protection dog... and for fun,  rocket himself up a 6 or
7  bale of hay "wall"  absolute vertical, and then gaze down at me as if  to
say "was that cool or what?" and would run with me often times between 5  and
10 miles a day...all terrain, all weather.
So if that is a  non-athletic, clumsy "oversize" GSD....I WILL TAKE
ANOTHER!!!
Now  suppose we were to concentrate on real problems in the breed like health
,  longevity,dog legislation ,  hair dying and drugging?    Kind  of leaves
the size issue in the dust.
JIMHO
Kathy  Tank