[ SHOWGSD-L ] NON GSD but dog - need health related help...

  • From: "Cyndy Davis" <cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:59:15 -0700

Can you guys help my friend?
thanks,
Cyndy

She suddenly became very lethargic about 2 weeks ago as I was leaving for
vacation so I thought she was depressed I was leaving again.

When my parents took her to the vet, they did blood work and tested her urine ?
said her white cells were low but not horrid, just something to watch.   The
antibiotic was only helping when given in shot form but it took a second set of
blood work to determine her white blood cells are now critically low.  They
have her on prednisone (20mg twice a day) but because it was a week before they
acknowledged the antibiotics weren?t helping (I didn?t know there was a steroid
in the shots she was getting or I would have figured that was what was helping
myself) her white cell count got so low they believe she has an ulcerated
stomach with bleeding ? she vomited a dark liquid yesterday morning as I was
leaving for work, which they said is blood.  L

She is now on carafate to coat her tummy but she has lost over 6 of her 35
pounds and isn?t eating much.  Her appetite does seem to be a bit stronger now
that she is on carafate but she only eats about 5-6 small bites of cooked
chicken before turning her nose up.  She is so frail now and her coat is dull.

As a dog person, you probably understand my concern and somewhat emotional
instability right now.  She is usually so happy and loving, it pains me to see
her so inactive, especially when I can?t do anything to help.