[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NEWS FLASH

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>, <lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:38:38 -0400

Listers,

There is no doubt that our world is changing in major ways.  The airline travel
problems have been worsening steadily, and the US Air situation will of course
cause a major dent.  Rising gasoline prices will impact everything from the
obvious things like the price of a tank of gas, across the entire economy.  It
will of course impact handlers costs and airlines' costs, and therefore will
likely raise the cost of airfare and handlers' expenses.  It will increase the
cost of heating oil, manufacturing, and so all the segments of our economy will
be impacted, and likely to either raise their charges or reduce their expenses,
or both.  Reducing expenses will result in pressure on suppliers and employees.
 The result could be a downturn in the economy, with all the implications of
that (layoffs, plant closings, etc.).  The AR groups are unfortunately making
obvious headway, with the various bills we have seen disussed here.

Sorry to seem negative - that isn't my intent at all.  The bottom line of it
all is that knowledge is power.  If we understand what is coming, we are in a
better position to plan for it, and so to have a hand in at least managing what
we cannot control.

Julie mentioned how things are in Europe.  Things are and have always been very
different there than here.  The countries are much smaller, and much more of
the activity is localized.  People travel a lot more on trains.  I don't know
if dogs are permitted on trains there, but would not be surprised if they were.
 In North America, air travel has been relatively cheap and available, and we
don't hesitate to drive 800 miles each way to a show.  It may well be that the
changing of external events will force us to consider changing how things are
done in the fancy, and to perhaps consider doing things more on a local level,
at distances that are not cost-prohibitive, and difficult to even get to.

We really need to stop bickering  among ourselves and stick together for the
sake of the survival of the fancy and the sport., to look past our individual
preferences for such things as the location of the National, or whether to
support all-breed judges vs. specialty judges at local shows, and to formulate
constructive and creative ideas, plans and strategies that will help to promote
the survival of the fancy and of our Clubs, and to take a proactive position
with respect to the changes going on around us.  We need to take fresh looks at
what will work to permit all of what we value in dogs to continue to exist at
all.

Margy Golant

From: "Pat Lukos" <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2005/08/18 Thu AM 10:08:23 EDT
To: <Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>,  <lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx>,
        <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NEWS GAS PRICE FLASH

The impact on our handlers will reflect in our expenses!!  Which will make
it harder for many exhibitors to travel to shows.

Pat Lukos
Sarava German Shepherds